When I was a teenager, I liked going to Subway occasionally to get a meatball sandwich. But sometime between then and now, I realized that the Subway sandwiches I thought were okay, really weren't that tasty.
Perhaps my palette became more refined...maybe their food got worse? I'd like to think that it's the former and not the latter.
So, I always figure that if you have a very specific taste memory in mind, you need to go recipe hunting. I was lucky enough not to have to look too far. I found this recipe on my favorite site for recipes, Allrecipes.
I recommend finding a sharp provolone for topping these...mozzarella doesn't seem to be strong enough to taste compared to the meatballs. Also, the bread is a very important factor. You'll need to find one that crusty enough to stand up to being gnawed on, but tasty enough to bring something to the party. Fresh baked is a MUST.
- 1 pound Italian Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 6 hoagie buns (try a good baguette!)
- 6 tablespoons grated mozzarella cheese (I recommend sharp/aged provolone instead)
- In bowl, combine sausage, oatmeal, eggs and Parmesan cheese. Shape into 1 inch balls. In skillet over medium heat, cook meatballs until browned and cooked through. Reduce heat to low. Add spaghetti sauce and cook until sauce is hot. Spoon meatballs and sauce into buns and top with mozzarella cheese.