Sunday, July 24, 2011

Homemade Tamales

I never thought I would make my own tamales. It's such an authentic food and I've always been told that it's a time consuming process. So, I just figured, eh, I'll buy them when I feel like it and that's all I can do.

But then my son decided he really like them. If he's decided to order a large meal at a Mexican restaurant, he's likely to order a cheese enchilada and a tamale.

I like to make things for those I love, hence the freshly made tamales in my kitchen right now. I'm feeling vindicated because these are without question the best tamales we've ever eaten.

Thank you, Allrecipes for the base recipes that I modified. 

Tamale recipe used for the masa (cornmeal portion).
Recipe for slow cooker carnitas (pork), modified by adding about 8-10 slightly crushed juniper berries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! you did that. Hope you enjoyed them with your son. So, whats next? :-)

Dawn said...

Hmm. I don't know! I'll have to figure that out. Since school started, we have a bit less time!