Monday, March 13, 2006

Banana Nut Bread

This banana bread recipe never lets me down. Of course, like many baked goods, they're best on the day they're baked.

It has a great crust that is crisp on the top and a moist interior.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
5 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter or margarine. Beat the egg slightly, and mix into the creamed mixture with the bananas. Mix in sifted ingredients until just combined. Stir in milk and nuts. Spread batter into one greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until top is brown and cracks along the top.

I usually end up baking mine around one hour, but I do the toothpick test to determine the exact moment to remove it from the oven.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I just made banana bread last weekend (Martha's recipe). I LOVE banana bread. I've never seen a recipe for banana bread that doesn't call for either sour cream or yogurt or buttermilk to make the batter moist. I'll have to give this one a try!

Dawn said...

Yes, I don't like having to purchase buttermilk or things of the like unless I know I need a bunch, otherwise it goes to waste! This is a pretty darn yummy recipe, I hope you like it too!

vlb5757 said...

That's a nice looking loaf there. Now we need some butter and hot pot of tea and I am there!

Dawn said...

You bet! That's what I was doing this weekend. Although it was so good when it was fresh that I didn't need any butter!