Thursday, March 02, 2006

Food Fact


In today's Food section of The Orange County Register there is an article about Williams-Sonoma founder Chuck Williams.

I never really knew anything about him, but what I read was quite interesting (at least to a foodie like me).

Charles (Chuck) E. Williams turned 90 years old last October. He opened his first store in 1956. Fifty years later, his shop has grown into a 260-store-plus Williams-Sonoma chain. And including his spinoffs (Pottery Barn, Hold Everything, Pottery Barn Kids, West Elm and Williams-Sonoma Home), the store total grows to more than 550.

He shared an interesting little food fact in the interview. "Do you know why souffle dishes have these pleated sides?" He explained that in the great houses of ancient France when a souffle was pulled from the oven, it was quickly wrapped in a collar of pleated starched linen "just like the collars people wore back then" so it was attractive enough to be presented at the table.

Now I know something new, and maybe you do, too!

5 comments:

Kristi said...

I love WS. I have two gift certificates there from Christmas, and I just went in last week. I wanted everything.

And that's a really interesting fact about souffles. Who knew?

Fran said...

Very interesting. Glad to see you are back.

Anonymous said...

Yes dawn welcome back.

Dawn said...

Hi Kristi, I too love WS! Although, every time I go in their store at my mall, I just drool over their stoves sitting in the showroom. But it costs $35K dollars!!

Hi Fran and Eric, thank you!! I've missed hearing what everyone has been up to!

Michelle said...

That's crazy! I just visited a WS store in San Fran and I was in Heaven. I had no idea that Pottery Barn was owned by the same person.