Friday, August 25, 2006

Cat Photo and a Crazy Week!


What a crazy week.

My son started 1st grade. I've been volunteering at a local thrift store that benefits the Birds of Prey Foundation (this has been fun...I'm redoing their jewelry case). I've had a doctor's appointment, a portrait studio sitting and tomorrow I'm hosting a scrapbooking event through My People Connection.

Whew!

But most importantly, I've been reading every possible moment and falling in love with the main male character in Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

Ladies, this is a book for you. This is similar to what they would call a "chick flick". I guess this goes in that category "chick lit".

Boy, oh, boh. It doesn't have a photo of Fabio on the cover and, in fact, it has been recognized for it's historical and geographical accuracies. But even so, it certainly does make my blood pump.

It won't teach me how to increase my income; it won't teach me how to improve my personal relationships.

However: I don't care.

This is reading for the sheer enjoyment of it. It's an indulgence when I read it. Like eating a ripe strawberry. With champagne. By the fire. With some hunka-hunka Scottish love next to me. Well, you get the picture.

The story is about an English woman who falls slips through a "door" back in time over 200 years. The year is 1743. The place is Scotland. Everything is different in that time period and the main character is trying to find her way back home to her husband and 1945 without being hanged, raped or who knows what else, and along the way meets Jamie.

I'm doing it quite the injustice above, so I'll just say that I strongly recommend the book. You won't regret it!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

How cool of you to get the Denver branch off and running! Maybe I should host an event while I'm out there. Boardgaming anyone? I could bring some out with me!

I find it funny that the one person you have signed up to go is named Stephanie! :-)

Dawn said...

I think that you get enough gaming in at home! But maybe we can schedule a different event. We were thinking about trying this indoor, glow-in-the-dark mini golf in an adjacent city.

I thought it was funny, too, that her name is Stephanie.

Caryl said...

I absolutely LOVE, and I mean L-O-V-E the Outlander series. Jamie has a huge following of female admirers! I did not like some of the book (like the spanking episode), and am not sure how accurate the historical facts are, but I have read every available book in the series. The story gets better and better with each book. Enjoy!

Dawn said...

Caryl, I'm so glad that you liked the whole series. I was wondering if they would be good or if they might go downhill. Now, however, since I have your recommendation, I'll be going to buy the second one today! I can't wait!

Cyndi said...

I love the Outlander series, too. Can't wait for the next installment! Dawn, I'm sooooo jealous. You're living OUR dream of moving to Colorado. I spent 5 years of my childhood there, and have longed for it ever since. DH and I go there on vacation almost every summer - at least for the last 15 years - and everything you've said about Californians is true! (I'm from southern cal - at least that's where I live right now) Congrats to you! (I guess I'd better change the link on my blog - I still have you as socal foodie!)