Thursday, May 17, 2007

Green tea as a diet aid?

I like to drink green tea, but I usually don't drink it in large quantities. But after reading a post on Craigslist, I decided to try out consuming more to see if I "got the burn!"

So, I drank one more very large cup than I usually would (probably around 5-6 cups total) and I can't believe how hot I got! It woke me up last night and I had to open my sliding door for air.

Also, this morning, I started with one cup of green tea and it warmed me up so much I was the only parent dropping my kid off at school who wasn't cold.

I was guessing that it must have increased my metabolism, but I wanted to know more after experiencing such immediate results. So, I googled green tea and weight loss and found this article...it was a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/70/6/1040

It showed that green tea consumption (not just caffeine, but green tea) increased the body's natural energy expenditure during the day and promotes fat oxidation.

Awesome!

So, I'm going to keep it up and see how much of a difference I see in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

So how's it going after a week? I so hope it works, even if just a little. I drink jasmine (green) tea nightly - maybe that explains the hot flashes!

Dawn said...

Well, I've been keeping it up (although not always such a large quantity) and I've noticed a difference. I feel warmer than usual often times. I am also trying to keep up with regular cardio-type exercise, so that probably contributes a certain amount of heat as well. Hey it all helps (I hope!). So far, I haven't noticed any difference, but it's only been a week, and I think I'd be too optimistic for results this quickly. My best work out so far was going hiking in the mountains for about 2 1/2 hours.