Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Coconut Hair and Ebola

Coconut Hair
My neighbor Delaney told me about using coconut oil on her hair and skin a few months ago. I didn't try it because I forget to buy it when I'm at the store, I'm lazy about giving myself beauty treatments and I thought the oil would be expensive.

I was surprised to see that tubs of coconut fat (solidified oil) sell at the Walmart for anywhere from $4 to $18, depending on the size and whether you buy organic or not. My hair is overdue for a trim, so I'm starting to get split ends and the perpetually dry weather in Colorado is making everything a bit crisp overall. Crispy is NOT how you want to describe your hair, trust me.

So, I scooped out about 2-3 tablespoons and spread it through my hair as it melted in my hands. It melts pretty darn quickly, so I'd ignore anyone's suggestion that you create a mini double boiler to liquify the stuff. I rubbed the excess on my arms. When I sat down on the couch, my cat Artemis sniffed me for a bit and then licked me six times. Since she's a very picky eater, I found this reassuring and a sign that I must smell okay.

I slept with the oil in my hair overnight (put a towel on the pillow!), and washed my hair the next morning. My hair is still slightly damp from the shower, but it does seem to feel softer. I'm due for a hair cut tomorrow, so I'll have to see if applying this treatment regularly helps keep the split ends at bay longer.

Ebola
I'll admit it. I've wondered what it would be like to have a fraction of the humans on planet earth. Of course, in my fantasies, my friends, my family, the smartest, and the funniest people on earth survive. Hey, it's my fantasy. What drives these thoughts? It's probably anxiety. I avoid aggressive drivers on the road. I abhor crowds in most scenarios. I am switching oil change places this week because I can't bear to deal with the rude man who started working at mine this year.

I solemnly promise I am not secretly wishing for the Ebola virus to spread at all. It would be terrifying if it did. It was sad to hear this morning that the idiot in Dallas who came back from Liberia infected has just died. I call him an idiot because he lied about being around sick people during his trip. He didn't have to die. Let's hope that others will learn from his mistake, and honestly share the details of any interactions with the ill.

No comments: