Friday, September 30, 2005

Mmmmm....Jelly Belly!

Ok. It's officially Friday. I just sat and did a Jelly Belly tasting with my boss Elaine. We tried to guess what flavors we were eating and discussed their bouquet while cleansing our palates between each bean. All the while, of course, laughing.

Somehow, I don't think that it is humanly possible to eat Jelly Belly's with a friend without laughing. The same goes for when you are selecting which chocolate you want out of a box. Or when you're trying to decide what piece of amazing sushi you want first at Matsuhisa's. Bottom line: simple, happy food moments are filled with contagious joy.

So far today, I have eaten the following flavors: orangesicle flavor (50-50 bar), cinnamon, juicy pear, strawberry daiquiri, plum, pink grapefruit, tangerine, toasted marshmallow, buttered popcorn, coconut, caramel apple, cantaloupe, cappuccino, root beer, peanut butter, tutti-frutti, watermelon, wild blackberry, and holy crap, I think I might have eaten others that I can't even remember!

Wow, I don't normally consider myself a candy person. But I think that it's the adventure of trying new flavors and seeing if you can identify them that really gets me. What I would really love is a class that teaches you how to taste foods. How to isolate different flavors from a medley and determine the makeup of any food item. Imagine how invaluable that would be. Like training your nose with a Le Nez Du Vin kit. (I was going to explain what these kits are, but it will be more fun if you google it. Be sure to look at the fault kits.)

I'm pretty darn excited because tomorrow we are going to see Nine Inch Nails and Queens of the Stone Age at the Hollywood Bowl. I can't wait! I am going to put together an awesome picnic basket to take in with us. I hope that you have fun, too, with whatever you're doing!

No comments: