Friday, November 11, 2005

Pre-WCB Foodie QOD #5

My WCB will be going up soon (I hope this evening), but in the meanwhile, here is a foodie quote of the day:

The greatest delight the fields and woods minister is the suggestion of an occult relation between man and the vegetable. I am not alone and unacknowledged. They nod to me and I to them.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love this quote because of it's unusual tempo. I slow down to be sure that I understand what he is saying, and in that process visualize the true meaning of the words.

I rarely stick to any one project for too long, but every summer when I get that itch to grow something new, tend to it, and then enjoy its bounty, I recognize that it is one of the most rewarding things in my life. I feel a sense of accomplishment. And as I sit there, pruning tomato bushes, I feel peace. Forty five minutes can easily slip away after work while I play with the plants.

This year, I grew yellow pear tomatoes, jalapenos, anaheim peppers, and carrots.

No comments: