Monday, July 10, 2006

Nature...direct to you!

Last night my son and I returned home from the grocery store, carrying frozen peas for our chicken and dumplings (will post tomorrow), and we came across a baby bird in the grass. I almost did't realize that it was a baby bird, mostly because it didn't move at all and blended in somehow.

As I got closer, I realized that the bird was so young that he didn't even have the ability to fly or hop away. So, I thought, he's waiting for his close-up (Mr. Demille)!

I dashed inside and retrieved the camera and here is the little dear. I hope that he makes it through the night and nobody bigger and hungrier comes along to meet him.

It occurred to me that when I was younger, I would've begged and cried to be able to bring that bird in the house. I would have laid awake wondering if he was okay and dashed outside first thing to see what happened while I slept. I guess that I've gotten older and have begun to accept that some things are up to nature and fate, if you will.

My son didn't beg or ask to take it inside. I guess either it's a girl thing or perhaps he's more Zen than I am when it comes to letting go. Either way, I am guessing he'll sleep better tonight than I will.


3 comments:

Kristi said...

Dawn! You're back! I'm so glad you posted on my blog to let me know. I've missed you. I'm going to go and catch up on the rest of your new blog now, but I just wanted to stop by and welcome you back to blogging, and to confess that I would totally have taken that bird inside for the night. I'm such a sap. :)

Dawn said...

Hi Kristi! I'm glad to be back, too! It's nice to hear from friends. My new blog is pretty short, but I just realized that I'm about to post my 100th post (between my old and new blogs)!

I was tempted to take in the bird, and in the morning, it was gone and I really did wonder what happened to it!

Michelle said...

Hi Dawn!
I'm SO happy you're back and that you're starting to get settled in Colorado. It really can be such a wonderful place (although truthfully, there can be some stuffiness where you are)...and I do know about the "California attitude" but don't let it disuade you from enjoying yourself, or the other wonderful people that are there.

This little bird is so adoreable...I confess I might have taken it home too...my brother and I once raised magpies when we were younger because the mother was killed until we could release them. We're convinced they still hang around whenever we see magpies!