Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Where's a good bowl of soup when I need it?

First off, thank you to everyone who participated in last weekend's Holiday Cookie Exchange. We just have one more week left to share our recipes before the holidays swallow us up completely!

Hopefully I will see you all again this Friday!

After a hectic week and an even crazier weekend, my body did something terrible: it got sick!

I threw my son's birthday party on Sunday. It was a huge relief because I was very stressed out for about a week or two prior and just about couldn't take it anymore. It ended up going over very well, with plenty of guests and good food.

I took a simple route this year by serving cold cuts with various breads and other sandwich toppings and a big pot of homemade chili. I was happy that everyone liked the chili since it was my very first time ever making it!

I had woken up at 6:00 a.m. to bake the cake, and I worked very hard until about 4pm that day. I had a celebratory drink once the party was over (thank god) and went to bed before midnight.

Monday morning: I wake up with a feeling that I have a white-hot trail burning in my sinuses. My throat is sore and swollen. I am coughing. My head hurts, my body hurts. My tummy is upset and threatening to turn on me completely.

I call in sick to work. I sleep, never leaving the upstairs of my apartment, until almost 11:30am. I eat, and then I sleep some more.

And, of course, last night was my son's Christmas program at school. So there I am, sweating in the audience, smiling, waving and making funny faces at my son, trying to get him to loosen up on stage.

I told my husband, next year, he's in charge of the birthday party. If he wants to do it at Chuck E. Cheese's, fine. As long as he's the one calling and booking the space!

The chili really was good and I will definitely be sharing the recipe and a photo soon! I'm back at work today feeling about 50% better, hoping that my normal routine will help perk me up. At the very least, the coffee helps! I hadn't had a cup since Friday morning!!

I haven't made the rounds since probably Saturday, so I hope everyone else had a much calmer weekend than I did. I'll check in with everyone in the next day or so.



Kristi said...

I'm so sorry you've been sick. Poor thing, it sounds awful. I'm glad you're slightly better. Take good care of yourself, and make your husband wait on you.

michelle said...

Oh dear, you poor girl. Feel better soon! I'm sure that your son's party went fabulously after all of that work (I want to see photos of that awesome cake!) and I can't wait to try your chili. Be as nice to yourself as possible (drink water! i never do and the doctors are always telling me that!) and I completely agree with Kristi - make your husband wait on you! You deserve it after all that hard work!

Melissa CookingDiva said...

Dawn, you will be completely recovered sooner than what you expect. You will see! I promise I'll start working on soups, dehydrating them using the "food dehydrator", and have them all ready to ship in case one of my blogging friends needs some sopa (soup) for the soul. Next time you get sick, I'll send you one of my "ricas sopas". Hugs!

ilva said...

You are crazy!! Remember that kids are happy just because the have a PARTY, they don't notice much of all the extra work you put in! They do remember the cake and the games they play, trust me I know after 3 kids.... So don't work too much!
Take care of yourself!

farmgirl said...

Hi Dawn,
I sure hope you're feeling better soon. Sorry to hear that you've been so sick. I just wanted to thank you for the Food Blog Award Nominations for Farmgirl Fare, and for all the kind things you said about my blog. I'm absolutely flattered. Thanks again. Sending healthy thoughts your way! : )

Dawn said...

Kristi and Michelle, you're making me laugh...I have the same husband as everyone else does...and he definitely doesn't "wait on me"! I am feeling a little better this morning, but last night was terrible. My teeth were hurting so badly because of my sinuses that I couldn't go to sleep until I got up and took some Tylenol! But today, I feel good, if only because of the amazing lunch that I'm looking forward to. Every Christmas our boss takes us out for lunch. Today we are going to a new Italian restaurant called Onotrio. Ilva, you would probably like it because the chef/owner is from Tuscany! I got a look at the prix fixe menu, and the four entrees we get to choose from are: osso buco, striped bass with artichokes, tomatoes (and other stuff..just can't remember), a filet with a pomegranite port wine reduction sauce or a 1 1/2 lb. lobster. Hmmmm...choices, choices!! Ilva, next year I am taking your advice and doing everything the easy way! Farmgirl, thanks for the kind words, and you are welcome for the nominations. Your site deserves it! I know others that are great (most of the folks who commented here), but your site was the one that got me into the whole blog-sphere.

I'll let you guys know how the lunch went...too bad I can't take photos!

Dawn said...

Oh yeah, Melissa, as soon as you get that food dehydrator idea worked out, let me know!! Thanks for the lovely words.